Sunday, May 24, 2009

Research on Generosity


I like this brief summary of several reputable studies, surveys and statistics related to charitable giving. The list of childhood experiences that predict future giving affirm my philosophy, which I learned from military leadership training. That is, the best way to influence others is to lead by example. The best way to learn something is observe, then practice doing it yourself (as the Army manual says, "Soldiers learn by doing.")

Statistics show that poorer Americans out-give richer ones in terms of percentage of their income. This has been true for many years, and I've seen lots of different hypotheses about why. I like this article because it links those statistics with my personal belief, which is that this phenomenon begins in childhood. For what it's worth, here's my take on it.

In general, rich children are used to having things done for them, see their parents less, and participate in competitive activities such as select sports teams and academic camps. Poor children do more things for others (mow Grandma's lawn, for example) to help the family save money, see their parents more, and participate in activities that don't cost much money, which tend to be less competitive and more service-oriented.

Surveys show that wealthy children know about and believe in the values of giving and sharing. In my opinion, they just don't have the opportunities to see and practice those values in action as much as poorer children do. Rich kids spend most of their time working on their own goals and being entertained with activities designed specifically for their peer group. I think this emphasis on personal development leads to high achievement...but low charitable giving.

No comments: