Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Saying Goodbye


Today is my last day in the job I've held for four years. My personal knick-knacks, files, music, and reference books are packed. I'm leaving for the best reasons, that is, to advance to a higher pay grade and take on a new challenge.

But it feels weird knowing that I'll leave this office, this home away from home, and I'm not coming back. My coworkers will say goodbye during a coffee break, in a few minutes. My boss is bringing chips and dips for everyone to snack on while we go through the ritual of parting ways.

I'm glad they care enough to do it, but I'm afraid it will be awkward or make me sad. These people were, for the most part, very good to me. I'll miss my assistant--not just her help but her friendship too. I find myself sighing a lot. What's the word for this feeling? Pensive, I guess.

I'm glad we planned a vacation between the end of this job and the beginning of the next one. It will give me time to relax and make the transition from these feelings to excitement and anticipation of the new job.

No comments: